Intramural sports has officially ended for this school year. They will return in the Fall. Please come back and check out the line-up when the Back-to-School Newsletter goes out. Meanwhile, if you’re new to Hillview or to the After-School Sports program you can check out what was offered during the 2016-17 school year below.
Hillview, sponsored by the PTO, offers an after-school sports programs for 6th, 7th & 8th grade girls and boys. Registration dates and practice times for each sport will appear in the weekly Hillview Newsletters throughout the school year. Please check the After School Sports section of the weekly Newsletter for announcements. (Not receiving the Newsletter? Click here to subscribe.)
After School Sports Contacts
- Harry Bell, Hillview Athletic Director – click here to send an email
- Christine Keefer, PTO Coordinator – click here to send an email
Registration for after school sports is conducted online at Sportability. We cannot issue refunds once the teams have been selected. Email questions to Harry Bell. Click team below to go to details.
Programs for 2016-2017 School Year
Fall Sports Teams
Winter Sports Teams
Spring Sports Teams
Tournament Teams (Girls Volleyball, Boys & Girls Basketball)
The Hillview PTO sponsors this program for 7th/8th girls in volleyball and for all 8th graders in basketball. This program is designed for those students who want to play these sports at a more competitive level and to prepare students for high school sports. A higher level of commitment is expected than those who play on in the Burgess League/MPMSL programs. Unlike other after school sports programs, teams are selected based on player evaluations and, depending on interest, there may be “cuts.” This will be the final year for Tournament Volleyball as many clubs currently exist that allow athletes to play competitively.
Fall Sports – Details
- The full Flag Football schedule can be found here. Bookmark it!
- Registration will open for the 2016 season on August 29 @ 8:00pm (The evening of the E Komo Mai Luau)
- Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15-5:00 on the Hillview field starting on September 10.
- Games will typically be scheduled on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays (not on weekends). Games will be held at Hillview and opposing team locations. The season ends November 10 (approximately).
- Players must wear a mouthpiece in games to play.
- For more information, read the overview flyer: Flag Football Flyer 2016
- Registration will open for the 2016 season on August 21 @ 8:00pm.
- Players are expected to attend two practices per week during the season running from September through November.
- Games are played at the Arrillaga Gym, 600 Alma St, Menlo Park.
- For more information, read the overview flyer: Girls Volleyball 2016.
Girls Tournament Volleyball Team
Winter Sports – Details
Boys and Girls Basketball
- The 8th grade MPMSL game schedule can be found here.
- Registration for Burgess Basketball League and 8th Grade MPMSL Basketball opens October 9.
- Register on Sportability here.
- For more information please click here. (Please remember registration and waiver signing are both done online!)
- 6th and 7th grade games are played at Arrillaga Gym in Menlo Park.
- 8th grade team is part of MPMSL and play at Hillview and local schools.
Boys and Girls Tournament Basketball
- Teams (1 for boys, 1 for girls) are for 8th graders only.
Dance & Cheerleading Spirit Squad
- Registration for Dance & Cheerleading Spirit Squad will open in November. Please look in the Hillview Newsletter for updates.
- Students learn dance and cheer technique, stunts, sideline cheers, and pom pom routines while refining performance skills.
- Practice 1x a week after school from mid-January through mid-March.
Spring Sports – Details
With our after school basketball season completed, all Hillview students (and Oak Knoll/ Encinal 5th graders welcome) interested in continuing to improve their basketball skills are welcome to attend Hillview Basketball Clinic. This clinic will emphasize basketball fundamentals important for beginning and intermediate players at the middle school level. Target students are those who are seriously motivated to learn more about mastering the important foundations of solid basketball play.
Hillview School coaches/teachers Harry Bell, Phil Eaton, and Art Weil (Girls Tournament Team Coach) assisted by high school coaches will lead this dynamic new program. All coaches have coached the Hillview Tournament Teams, high school, and Burgess League Basketball Programs. There will also be some high school varsity basketball players coaching.
For more information contact Coach Bell, 650 483-4049 cell, or Coach Eaton.
- Registration for Tennis is closed. For more information please check out the here.
- All registration will be through Sportability.
- Please visit the Tennis website here.
- The program fills up very quickly, and we have a limited number of spots we can offer. If your child plans on playing tennis, we recommend registering as soon as possible. Once registration is full, students will be placed on a waiting list; often, students are able to join the program from the wait list.
- The Tennis program is open to students who can play a set of tennis and know how to keep score, so only a little experience is required. We strongly encourage signups for athletes who want to develop a life-long appreciation of tennis.
- Coaches — the Hillview PTO hires well-qualified coaches to conduct practices and matches. There will also be high school student assistant coaches.
- Parent coordinators administer the program and find parent volunteers to help coaches during practice, help arrange carpools and snacks.
- Practice Schedule: The season extends from the beginning of March through mid-May. There is no program during Spring Break. The complete schedule, along with more information will be provided after the Winter Break in January.
Track & Field
- Practices are typically on Mondays and Wednesdays 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. at Hillview or Menlo-Atherton High School
- Track and Field is open to all Hillview students as well as 4th and 5th grade students from Encinal and Oak Knoll.
- Volunteer parents will be needed to assist coaches.
- The complete schedule, along with more information will be provided after the Winter Break in January
Boys Volleyball League (ADAL):
- Practices: Tue 5:30-7:00, Thu 2:30-4:00 in the HV Gym begins 3/21 Occasional Friday practices also possible
- Matches: Mostly M-Thu, possibly Friday (no weekends)
- League begins: Week of April 18
- League ends: Toward end of May
- Home Matches: Tues or Thurs 5:30 or 6:00 probably
- Register on Sportability here.
- Cost $185
- Size of Team: Total team limit will be 24, but a maximum of 12 players will attend matches.
Hillview Girls Spring Volleyball Clinic 2017
Hillview Spring Volleyball Clinic is a PTO-sponsored after-school program intended to help players practice and improve their volleyball skills during the spring trimester at Hillview. The program is open to all players regardless of previous volleyball experience. Coaching will be provided by parent volunteers and high school students. Participants will meet at the Hillview gym for volleyball drills and scrimmage.
- Duration: March 21 – May 18th (no practice during spring break week)
- Practice: Tuesday & Thursday 4:00-5:30pm at Hillview Gym
- Cost: $170
- Open to all grades; all skill levels
- Contact information: Kutlu Aricanli, firstname.lastname@example.org